Kebabs are a summer staple on our grill. You can dress them up this way and that with herbs from the garden, sweeten them up with different veggies and fruit, and never go wrong when you’re using a meat thermometer. Marinade, skewer, grill and eat.
Cilantro Marinade and Dipping Sauce Ingredients
- 1/2 bunch fresh cilantro (stems removed)
- 1 large shallot, peeled and quartered
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled
- 1 small green chili pepper, trimmed and halved, with seeds
- 1 2-inch piece fresh ginger, peeled
- 1 1/4 teaspoons kosher salt
- 4 Tbsp olive oil
- 2 Tbsp fresh lime juice
- 1/2 tsp curry powder
- Place the cilantro, yellow onion, garlic, chili, ginger, and salt with 3 tablespoons of the oil in a food processor fitted with a metal blade. Process until a paste is formed. Transfer to a large bowl.
- Put 2 tablespoons of the paste in a small bowl and stir in the lime juice to make the cilantro sauce. Cover and set aside.
- Stir the curry powder into the rest of the paste. Add the steak (see Assembly instructions below) and coat well. Cover and marinate at room temperature for 20 minutes or in the refrigerator overnight.
Mango Chutney Ingredients
Adapted from this Mango Chutney recipe
- 1 large ripe but firm mango, peeled and diced into 1/2 inch pieces
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp ground cloves
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp ground coriander
- 1 tsp ginger, peeled and zested
- 1/2 tsp red pepper flakes
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/8 cup vinegar
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 tsp salt
- Place the mango, spices, water, ginger and garlic into a small sauce pan until the mango is tender. Some pieces will disintegrate into the water. Takes about 10 minutes.
- Add the vinegar, sugar, salt and dry chilies.
- Cook for about 10-15 minutes more until the chutney is thickened. Remove from heat and serve as a garnish aside the kebobs.
- 1/2 lbs flank steak cut into 1 inch pieces
- 1 red onion, cut into large pieces
- 1 bell pepper, cut into large pieces
- 6 skewers (wooden or metal)
- Thread the beef, bell pepper and onion chunks onto skewers.
- Brush a grill pan with the remaining oil. Preheat grill pan, then grill (or broil) the kebabs for 8 to 10 minutes, turning the skewers every 2 minutes.
- Serve with the cilantro sauce, chutney, and jasmine rice, if desired.