This is a great cheap vegan salad that was inspired by a recipe book created by a naturopathic doctor here in Costa Rica. The photos were nice in the ebook, but the recipes didn’t always call for the correct ratios or explain the directions very well. This could be a matter of translation issues but I decided only to ever use the book as a guide for myself. My first clue was that several recipes called for an insane amount of raw garlic, and believe me I love garlic, but I could tell it would have ruined the dish.
Salads are always a favorite of mine probably because of the rich, fresh taste of raw produce and the chance to play around with dressings. Plus, my husband and I have been on a broccoli kick as of late, which has shaped our dinners quite a bit. It isn’t unusual for us to cut up a head of fresh broccoli, steam it and throw some olive oil, garlic, herbs, salt and pepper and just down it for a full meal. So, when I found this recipe for a broccoli salad, I was hooked. It reminded me of a previous post of a roasted broccoli pasta salad, which I love and make frequently.
So, here is the adapted recipe. It’s easy, quick and delicious so don’t hesitate to make it and let us know what you think. Is it better than the broccoli pasta salad?
Broccoli Salad with Orange Peel and Cashews
- 1 fresh broccoli head cut into florets
- Zest from one orange
- 2 cloves of finely chopped garlic
- 1 Tsp of red pepper flakes
- Toasted cashews
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- Himalayan (or sea) salt and pepper to taste
- juice from 1 large lemon or 1 small lime
- Heat a medium-sized pot to boiling and quickly blanch the broccoli for 1 minute and then plunge into an ice bath.
- Toss broccoli in a large bowl with the remaining ingredients.
- Chill for 30 minutes to several hours and toss again before serving.
Looks delish! Will definitely try this recipe. I usually make a South Indian curry with broccoli that’s very tasty:ttp://www.vegrecipes4u.com/broccoli-cabbage-curry.html
Looks great, thanks for sharing. Broccoli is definitely my favorite vegetable.