Soy milk recipes seem to be in demand these days, as my other soy milk alfredo sauce recipe has been found a lot recently. I’m not sure I’ve really discovered the intricacies of using soy milk instead of regular milk, but so far it just seems to be a similar substitute with a little more reduction time needed and perhaps some flour or corn starch.
However, for recipes such as pancakes, fluffiness is really important especially if you’re swapping out ingredients like soy milk. You need to play with the consistency of the batter a little bit and thicken it up in order to get them fluffy. Just as crepes need more eggs and milk to make the batter thin and very runny, thick fluffy pancakes need more flour and baking powder. Here is the recipe I used with soy milk instead of milk from a cow and coconut oil instead of vegetable oil.
CINNAMON SOY MILK PANCAKE INGREDIENTS
- 3 cups flour, sifted (or double sifted if you’re adventurous)
- 6 Tablespoons sugar
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 2 Tablespoons baking powder
- 1 Tablespoon ground cinnamon
- 3 eggs
- 1/3 cup coconut oil
- 1 tsp real vanilla extract
- 1+ cup vanilla soy milk
CINNAMON SOY MILK PANCAKE DIRECTIONS
- In a large mixing bowl, preferably with a spout, combine all dry ingredients and mix well.
- Add the eggs, coconut oil, vanilla and milk and stir for 3-5 minutes until well mixed and not clumpy (but the batter shouldn’t be lumpy if you’re sifting the flour first).
- Heat a large pan or skillet on medium-high heat and put a small amount of butter in the pan.
- Pour in batter to any amount depending on how big you want your pancakes. Wait until you see small bubbles appear on the top of the pancake and then flip.
- After about 30 seconds, check the bottom of the pancake with a spatula to see if it’s golden brown.
- When it’s reached optimal color, remove from pan and repeat step for and 5 until the batter is gone.
- Top with 100% pure maple syrup, not that fake stuff in a shaped bottle.
Oh my!!!!!!!!!!!!! This has got to be like, the pancake of my dreams!!! I am a soymilk person and I just love cinnamon! How did I ever not think of this??? All this time I’ve been trying so many things experimenting on pancakes but never have I thought about this one! I definitely will be trying this, thanks a lot!
Thanks Amy, They turned out great! Feel free to link to the post if you experiment with them yourself. I’ll be adding a few more posts using soy milk, so stay tuned.
[…] you’ve seen the soy milk alfredo pasta recipe or perhaps the soy milk pancakes post, but make sure you check out the soy milk waffles recipe below. It’s a doozie. Lately […]